Korean-Style Udon Noodles Recipe: A Delicious and Flavorful Dish
Korean cuisine has been gaining worldwide recognition for its unique and flavorful dishes. One such dish that has captured the hearts of many is the Korean-style udon noodles. This dish is an exquisite combination of chewy udon noodles and a savory, umami-rich sauce with a spicy kick. The dish is usually garnished with thinly sliced vegetables or meat, making it a wholesome and filling meal.
To prepare Korean-style udon noodles, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 500g udon noodles
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms), thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Follow these steps to prepare this delicious and flavorful dish:
Step 1: Cook the udon noodles
In a pot of boiling water, cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the sauce
In a bowl, combine the gochujang, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar and sesame oil. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
Step 3: Sauté the onions and garlic
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they turn translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
Step 4: Add the sauce
Add the prepared sauce to the skillet and mix well with the onions and garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Add the vegetables
Add the sliced vegetables to the skillet and mix well with the sauce. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
Step 6: Add the udon noodles
Add the cooked udon noodles to the skillet and mix well with the sauce and vegetables. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are coated well with the sauce.
Step 7: Garnish and serve
Garnish the dish with thinly sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Serve hot.
There are many variations of Korean-style udon noodles depending on personal preferences and availability of ingredients. Here are a few examples:
- If you prefer a spicier dish, add more gochujang or chili flakes.
- If you like meat, add thinly sliced beef, pork or chicken to the dish. Cook the meat separately in the skillet until browned, then add back to the dish with the vegetables and noodles.
- If you want a more satisfying meal, add tofu or shrimp to the dish for additional protein.
- If you like a crunch in your noodles, add some bean sprouts or chopped peanuts just before serving.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips to help you prepare the perfect Korean-style udon noodles:
- Make sure the udon noodles are not overcooked as they tend to get mushy. Cook them al dente, so they retain their chewy texture.
- Choose vegetables that are colorful and crunchy to add texture and flavor to the dish.
- Do not skip the sesame oil in the sauce as it imparts a nutty and aromatic flavor to the dish.
- Adjust the amount of gochujang and brown sugar to suit your taste preferences.
The Bottom Line
Korean-style udon noodles are a wholesome, delicious, and satisfying meal that you can enjoy any time of the year. The dish is easy to prepare and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. With the right ingredients and a few tips and tricks, you can prepare this flavorful and hearty dish in no time. So go ahead, give it a try and savor the authentic taste of Korean cuisine at home.