Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
Do you want a simple and cozy meal that hits the spot without being too heavy? Lemon chicken orzo soup might be just what you’re looking for. This soup combines the comfort of chicken noodle soup with the bright and tangy flavor of lemon for a refreshing twist. Plus, it’s a one-pot dinner that won’t leave you with a sink full of dishes to clean up.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
– 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
– 1 yellow onion, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 6 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
– 2 carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 1 bay leaf
– Juice of 1 lemon
– ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
– ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Olive oil
1. Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. Add another splash of olive oil to the pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the chicken broth, orzo, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and oregano to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the orzo is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
4. Add the cooked chicken back to the pot.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!
The beauty of a recipe like this is that it’s easy to customize based on your preferences or what you have on hand. Here are a few ideas for variations:
– Swap out the chicken for shrimp or tofu for a different protein source.
– Add in some greens like spinach or kale for extra vitamins and nutrients.
– Use lemon zest instead of (or in addition to) lemon juice for an even brighter lemon flavor.
– For a creamier soup, stir in some heavy cream or plain Greek yogurt at the end.
Tips and Tricks
– If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked chicken instead of cooking it in the soup.
– Don’t skip the lemon juice – it’s what gives the soup its unique flavor.
– Be careful not to overcook the orzo, or it will become mushy.
– This recipe makes a lot of soup, so it’s great for meal prep or feeding a crowd. You can freeze leftovers in individual portions for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
This lemon chicken orzo soup is packed with a variety of nutrients. Chicken is a good source of protein, while vegetables like carrots and celery provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Lemon is high in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can support immune health. Additionally, the garlic in this recipe may have antibacterial and antiviral properties.
There’s something comforting about a warm bowl of soup on a chilly day, and lemon chicken orzo soup is a delicious and healthy option. With its blend of protein, veggies, and tangy lemon flavor, it’s sure to become a staple in your kitchen. Plus, it’s easy to customize to your liking with different proteins, vegetables, or seasonings. Give this recipe a try and see for yourself why it’s a crowd-pleaser!